Looking for a quick and easy pre or post protein rich workout meal? Try this Spinach & Feta Frittata that you can make in advance to save time!
This recipe has become a firm favourite in our household and not just as a pre or post workout meal. The main ingredients are eggs, chick pea (gram) flour, feta cheese and spinach, but I often add mushrooms, peppers, red onion, fresh herbs, garlic – what ever I fancy! It is a very versatile recipe as you can either cook the mixture as a whole frittata, as individual wraps or as mini ‘cupcakes’. I usually serve the frittata with either a salad or roasted mushrooms and tomatoes.
Ingredients for 1 frittata or 6 ‘cupcakes’
150g washed spinach
4 medium eggs
50g chick pea (gram) flour
100g Feta cheese
Salt & Pepper
Heat the oven to 180 degrees
– Wilt the spinach in a saucepan, drain and cool.
– Gently squeeze out any excess moisture from the spinach and chop.
– Beat the eggs and add the gram flour. Continue beating until you have a smooth paste.
– Add the spinach and season.
For the Frittata:
– Heat about 2 teaspoons of rapeseed oil in a large, non stick frying pan (that can go in the oven) and pour the spinach mixture into the centre of the pan, spreading it evenly with the back of a spoon.
– Sprinkle over the feta cheese and cook for about 5 minutes, then place in the hot oven to cook for another 10 minutes or until the frittata is firm to touch.
For the ‘cupcakes’
– Using a cup cake or muffin tray, brush a little oil into 6 of the cups and divide mixture between them.
– Bake for about 20 minutes or until centre has set
For the wraps (makes 4):
– Add 50-75 ml water to the mixture to make a loose batter with a pourable texture – like double cream.
– Heat a little oil in a large non stick frying pan and pour a quarter of the mixture into the pan, spreading it evenly.
– Cook for a couple of minutes, loosen with a spatula and (if you dare!) flip to cook the other side.
– Transfer to a plate and cook the rest.
You can fill these wraps with whatever you like – oilves, salad, meats, chutney’s, pickles, hummus…. the list is endless!